You need to have influence NOW where it matters, with the decision makers in Brussels.
The recently introduced changes to allergen labelling is a good example.
These changes were known about 3 years ago. The actual consultation process took place at least a year before that. The timescale in the UK:
- As far as we can ascertain the FSA issued nothing until July 2014.
- Very few Local Authorities have issued any direct advice or guidance.
On the other hand:
- Food Solutions was actively involved with the consultation process. As part of that process it was agreed that a three year lead in should be included to give food businesses time to adopt.
- Food Solutions' members were directly involved with the consultations and were able to voice their concerns.
- Food Solutions members were provided with practical advice well ahead of the introduction of the regulations. The actual regulation is not as severe as some people make out.
The next major changes to food regulations are set out below. It is not too late to influence the final content of these regulations.
If of course you choose to do nothing another article similar to the one recently published will no doubt appear.
You have an opportunity to influence the decision makers. To do this you need to join Food Solutions. We can then take your views and concerns to the UEAPME Food Forum and lawmakers. Food Solutions is the only UK representative on this Forum.
As a member of Food Solutions you will know about new regulations well ahead of their introduction thus avoiding articles in newspapers. The question is - can you afford NOT to be a member of Food Solutions?